Fairfield Intermediate School - Exceptional Learners, Exceptional Place - Whakaharahara ākonga, Whakaharahara wāhi - 261 Clarkin Road, Hamilton, New Zealand - 07 855 9718 - mail@fairfieldintermediate.school.nz

International Students: Home Page

Fairfield Intermediate School has a large International Student Department with students coming to study English from all over the world.

All International Students are fully integrated into the lifestyle and culture of the school, and take part in a variety of activities designed to improve and develop their English Language ability.

For more information regarding fees / enrolments / availability of student places please contact:

Pennie Braithwaite
Director of International Students
(0064) 7 855 9718 ext 860
or email: pbraithwaite@fairfieldintermediate.school.nz

All students must complete the International Students' Enrolment Forms before entering Fairfield Intermediate School as an International Student. Students can be enrolled at the school on a weekly basis or term by term throughout the school year and must be nine years or over. Students can choose to attend a mainstream classroom or a digital classroom where they have daily access to a range of information technology equipment designed to assist them in their every day learning.

All students will have an initial English Language test and a placement interview with the Director of International Students. Students need to be enrolled three days before they wish to start school and will not be accepted until all enrolment details are completed.

All students and their parents/caregivers will be given a tour of the school and an orientation process outlining the expectations of the school regarding all Pastoral Care Regulations for Homestay Accommodation. A handbook, giving all the information regarding the policies and procedures that International Students and their caregivers must comply to, will be given to all students and families before they begin their time at Fairfield Intermediate School.

ALL HOMESTAY FAMILIES must undergo strict assessments and comply with the regulations set out by the New Zealand Government regarding Pastoral Care. A homestay will be changed if the Director of International Students feels it is appropriate to do so or the parents/families request us to. If a student is living with a parent the homestay checks are not required but we still maintain regular contact with the family.

ESOL Classes

In addition to the mainstream class, International Students receive extra ESOL tuition on a daily basis designed to upskill all areas of their English.

Classes are small and intensive and focus on helping students adapt to the New Zealand environment by giving them a range of English activities.

Conversation and Survival Class: 

A range of activities focussing on pronunciation and spoken accuracy and fluency in English.

Our survival class is a programme for our advanced students designed to increase academic vocabulary and improve basic essay writing structures in preparation for entrance to New Zealand Secondary Schools.

Advanced Reading and Writing Class:

A course for our advanced students designed to improve basic sentence writing structures and improve general vocabulary. It also aims to develop reading comprehension strategies so that overall reading levels improve.

Sports Programme:

Participating in sports and fitness is a large focus for all our students. Students will take part in a compulsory ESOL sports programme where every week they will participate in a variety of sports activities with other classrooms in the school. As well as this we have sports competitions with local schools as a part of our kiwi experience. We also have additional options for those that want to extend their sporting skill and knowledge. We have private coaching specifically for tennis and basketball, and a specific focus on nutrition and fitness techniques.  

Parent to Student to School Contact:

Fairfield Intermediate School believes that the families of all our International Students should have regular contact with their children and the school. Children are given set time in their ESOL classes to write and email families and friends back in their home countries. All school reports and information regarding student progress are regularly sent home to families along with portfolios of work that the student has done.Parent/teacher interviews are held three times a year and all International Students receive a leaving certificate and two school reports when they leave the school.

Video Conferencing Facilities:

We are now able to offer video conferencing facilities where you can talk to and see your child online.

We are using the ‘ooVoo’ programme which is free to download from the internet. You need to have a microphone and speakers on your home computer to hear your child, but a headset is preferable. A webcam attached to your computer will allow you to see your child.

Appointments are made and you will be able to talk and/or see your child at the appointed time. Using ‘ooVoo’ will also allow you to talk to your child’s teacher, ESOL staff and any friends that your child may wish you to meet.

For further information regarding this service, please contact the Director of International Students.

Student Visas:

Please download the file from NZ Immigration about student visas Visa Release

Parents of students are advised to apply early for student visas. Read the media release for full details.